Our Vision for the Future
On November 3, 2007, Sunshine Cathedral installed a new Senior Pastor, the Reverend Doctor Durrell Watkins. Dr. Watkins is a recognized visionary within the progressive and new thought Christian movement. Quoting from a sermon delivered January 9, 2011 he reminded the over 400 gathered that “The church isn’t dogma. The church isn’t a building. The church isn’t the rituals we perform. The church is US…and it can only be as good as we let ourselves be and it can only accomplish what we are willing to do because WE are the church.” Under Dr. Watkin’s leadership the community known as the Sunshine Cathedral understands that when we recognize the truth of divine goodness within and all around us, then we find ourselves affirmed and we know ourselves to be persons of sacred value. “We are God’s offspring….And when we are immersed into an awareness of divine goodness and we find our sacred value affirmed, we then are responsible for doing the work of divine healing in our world.”
It is this simple yet profound affirmation of our collective divinity that drives our 10-year vision. That vision includes:
- To promote progressive, positive, practical spirituality within the Sunshine Cathedral community and beyond.
- To continue building a culture of gratitude and generosity, where every active member gives generously of time, talent, and treasure to the work of Sunshine Cathedral.
- To have 1200 weekly worshipers at our Fort Lauderdale location (basically doubling our attendance in the next decade).
- To continue reaching out to South Florida, the Caribbean, and beyond with Sunshine Cathedral worship centers, outreach services, discussion groups, written materials, Internet, and other media
- To improve the quality and accessibility of Religious Education through Samaritan Institute.